- She had no respect for her man beyond his role as father. Kris was notorious for degrading Bruce publicly and in front of his children. She treated him like a child and felt entitled to do so. She was often quite patronizing and seldom showed any remorse until she was criticized by others or she hurt Bruce's feelings. Unless her franchise was tarnished she cared little how she made him look.
- She failed to love his first ever love, his mother. Kris made it clear she did not like or respect Bruce's mother. She told him this, she told the nation this on TV. Even after Bruce asked her to try for him, she refused. It was his mother who came to Kris to make peace. That hurt Bruce on many levels. This reminded him once again that his feelings did not matter, did not register with Kris.
- He stopped breathing the very air he helped to create. Kris made Bruce feel small and unwelcome in his home. He told Kris he felt unwelcome and forgotten. She told him to get a new hobby. She reminded him he has everything; he has nothing to complain about. He was reaching out she was not reaching back.
- She boxed him into small spaces and tried to control his every thought. Despite living in a mansion there was not enough room for this couple to live together. Kris had to control everything and that included Bruce's free will in his own home. She delegated his living space in a home he was supposed to be leading.
- She became bigger than the relationship Kris started believing and behaving like her life was just business and her marriage a token caricature of what love looks like on TV. She cared more about the act of marriage than the covenant of marriage. Bruce was a character for her play not a companion in their marriage. He stopped wanting to act a long time ago. She did not.
- He forgot his power and never allowed himself to become empowered in his role as husband and leader of his household. Albert Einstein said, "Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." Even his children walk all over him because they see the footprints their mother has left on his forehead. It was hard to watch. It was harder still not to.
I don't know where these two will end up. I have my bets. I sincerely hope it works out for them somehow. I do know the bible is clear on the roles of men and women in a marriage. My prayers are with them both.
Proverbs 14:1 - Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.
1 Timothy 2:11-14 - Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
Proverbs 31:11-12 - The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
1Corinthians 11:9 - Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
1 Corinthians 11:8-9 - For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
Proverbs 19:14 - House and riches [are] the inheritance of fathers: and a prudent wife [is] from the LORD.
Ephesians 5:22 - Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
Ephesians 5:21 - Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.